Saturday, June 8, 2013

My Happiness Project - Launch Party!


 

Woohoo!!! I am 30 YEARS OLD today!!!  I'm feeling strong and sassy and ready to take on this decade! lol! What better way to kick off my 30s than by officially jumping into my very own "Happiness Project"?

Several months ago our book club read the Happiness Project by Gretchin Rubin.  I have to admit, the name turned me off.  I didn't want to like it.  The whole, "Can you make yourself happier?" isn't really my thing.  Do I think you can actually make yourself happier?  Do I think that just by asking the question, you are now unhappier?  Honestly, don't really care.  I'm too busy nursing the baby, fixing breakfast and wiping someone's bottom to sit and meditate on this deep truth.  All that to say, I was actually SURPRISINGLY very inspired by the book.  Personally, I did not have a whole lot in common with the author, BUT as she clearly states, everyone's "happiness project" looks differently and as I read her story, I immediately began conjuring up ideas for my own version of a "happiness project."
Among the many things I took away from this book were the practical applications - basically stop talking about things you want to eventually do and DO THEM.  I like the idea of "tackling a nagging task" and "establishing a new habit."  I also realistically know that if I break things up into small pieces and spread them out over time, I have a much better chance of actually being (and maybe more importantly feeling) successful.  Could I have come of with a better name to describe this "project"?  Sure.  But I figured why not stick with the title of the book, since that was the inspiration.

So here's what I did:
I made a list of a bunch of things that I've been wanting to do, start, have been putting off, etc.  Then I looked at the full 12 month year (starting with my 30th birthday on June 8th) and tried to set a theme for each month.  So each month I will do at least these 3 things:
                                                                                                    1. Tackle a nagging task.
                                                                                                    2. Establish a new habit.
                                                                                                    3. Celebrate an achievement.  

Not sure how much of these will "stick" or will actually contribute to my "happiness" but it's worth a shot.  Even as I made my list, I realized there more things than I had "room" for, but I thought "hey, I can add that to my next happiness project" : )
 Here is what my plan for the year looks like so far.  (still working on the specifics for the last few months)
In my next post will share my specific goals and my charts that I'm using to track my "progress") 

June                  CELEBRATE
                           blogging, birthday cards and a tri'n like a girl!

July                   EMPOWER
                           upping the miles, changing flat tires, and getting outside

August               CENTER
                            yoga, meditation and a memory box

September         DISCOVER
                           library trips, book shelves and 3 trips to Texas

October              PLAY
                           girl's nights, date nights and family fun days

November          TREASURE
                           shutterfly, file boxes and one-line journaling

December          CREATE
                           hanging artwork, new traditions and non-toxic goodies 

January              SING
                           mix CDs, songwriting and family worship

February            EAT
                          vegan recipes, 5 new restaurants, a "real food" challenge

March                REST
                           computer fast, reading for pleasure and getting away

April                  SIMPLIFY
                   

May                   DREAM



4 comments:

  1. Love it! A lot of your things sound similar to what I would enjoy- one line journalling, food, changing flat bike tires, etc. Good luck! Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I love it. So awesome, and it will be a lot of fun to follow your project! :) Happy birthday, Ally!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies for reading! Carrie, I found several one-line journals that are setup to be used for several years. Here's the one I'm using:
    http://www.amazon.com/One-Line-Day-Five-Year-Memory/dp/0811870197/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370751248&sr=8-1&keywords=one+line+journal

    the kids gave it to me today for my bday gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! This is so motivational!!! I was just thinking I needed to do something very similar to this, but yet, again, lack the motivation to get it started. Thanks lady!!!! I'm going to make a plan today!

    Alia

    ReplyDelete